Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stingray 5K

So this morning Steve and I ran the Stingray 5K in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. It was a perfect morning for running. I think the temp was in the mi 60's , low humidity, no wind, that and the nice flat course made for some damn fine running. At the start I went out way too fast, after about half a mile I looked at my Garmin and saw I was running 7 minute miles. I slowed my pace to a more sedate 7:30ish. As usual Steve ran out at a much faster pace and unlike a lot of races, this time I was catching him. I finally caught up to him right before two miles and realized that he was struggling a bit, he had not been running a lot because he has been a bit ill. I decided that since I was training for a marathon now I was not really worried about my time in 5K's. So I slowed down to run with Steve for the rest of the race. We seemed to be running a nice easy pace, at one point I noticed that is was around 8:20. So Steve and I ran side by side for better than a mile, and I tried to keep Steve going by verbally encouraging him. We get to the 3 mile mark and Steve picks up the pace a bit, then he starts sprinting toward the finish. Well, Steve can always out sprint me, so the butthead ended up beating me by two seconds. The big surprise came when I saw the official timing clock at the end. Steve did it in 23:49, and I did it in 23:51, one second slower than my PB. Which is really weird because I felt like I was running slow and easy for a good third of the race. I even had enough energy to talk to Steve as we went along.

Oh yea, Steve and I both got 3rd place medals for placing in our age groups.

Pictures


Garmin data

2 comments:

Steve said...

If you'd only kept up with me, you would have recorded a PR. Not my fault you can't sprint :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!